Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wait, where are you going?


I love Thanksgiving. Lots of food, wine, and family time…and of course, questions from my relatives about my current boy situation. Unfortunately they always bring up the guy I talked about at the last family function and I have to first figure out A) who I was so excited about 3 months ago, and then B) how do I explain what went wrong (i.e. he got back together with his ex, he turned out to have a pretty major drug addiction, etc). So I’ve learned to be very cautious about how much info I give away to the fam at the beginning of things to avoid the risk of seeing serious disappointment on their faces at the next holiday. So here’s what I didn’t tell them this weekend…

I started dating this super nice guy a couple weeks ago. He does everything right, it’s pretty unbelievable…he orders a bottle of wine at dinner (and pays), calls when he says he will, he’s nice to my friends, etc. Think Aidan from Sex and the City. My family would LOVE him. Sound too good to be true? Yep, it is. He’s leaving Chicago in a few weeks...to spend 6 months in a third world country. So there’s that. Part of me is also a little skeptical about all this niceness. It's almost creepy how much of a good person he is. I’m just not used to it or something….but hey, I’ll take it and do everything I can to appreciate it while it lasts.

Anyway, I’m definitely going to continue hanging out with him until he leaves. But he won’t be showing up at my parents’ house for the holidays, and there is definitely no long-distance relationship in our future. So I’ll just have to work on finding a replacement guy by the time he leaves or the last couple months of winter are going to be brutal!!

XOXO, Sweet!

1 comment:

Mariska said...

Not one of the walking wounded - a rare gem. Wouldn't toss him in the recycle pile just yet. Could be a real diamond!