Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The royal we

My quest for a little extra cash often leads me to the suburbs for a little dog/house sitting. This evening as I was taking said dog for a walk I saw a peculiar sight: a man balanced on a skateboard being pulled by two dogs. Intrigued and a little startled, I waved hello and watched as he disappeared down the street.

Twenty minutes later I'm about to walk into a restaurant to meet my mother for dinner (dog/house sitting also comes with free sushi dinners with mom--awesome) when dog sled guy appears out of nowhere. As he stops to tie his dogs to a nearby post I happen to notice that he's a not ugly. In fact, he's gorgeous. Realizing that I was being a total creep standing there watching him tie up his dogs, I tried to save face by saying hello. "Hello" turned into a ten minute convo and eventually he suggested we hang out sometime. As I'm putting his digits into my phone feeling happy as a clam he says something along the lines of: "great, we would love to hang out. We only live right around the corner."

WE? My first instinct is to look at his ring finger....nothing. Before I have a chance to subtly explore the "we," my mother comes out of the restaurant looking annoyed. I say goodbye and depart only to be left wondering who "we" is......

Here's what I've come up with (with my comments in bold):

  1. We = wife and kids and he doesn't wear his rings because he is the owner of a green landscaping company and thus it would get dirty (Not into this scenario...and he's only 28, which seems pretty young for a wife and kids, but also very plausible)
  2. We = very serious girlfriend (not into this one either...but always possible, as who would choose to live in the suburbs if they are young and single)
  3. We = he lives with his parents (eek)
  4. We = he considers the dogs part of the family (I'm down)
  5. We = he has roommates (totally town)
  6. We = he loves himself so much he uses the royal we (of course this would be the guy I run into)

So, my gut would be #1, but I think I'm going to call tomorrow night and suggest a friendly dog walking sesh just to find out. If I had to put money on it though, I would bet that Friday's post includes my creepy encounter with dog sled guy and his wife (and maybe 7 children). Eek! More to come!!

XOXO Salty




No comments: